Friday, February 3, 2012

Why is there so much analysis?

Analysis in Spanish is analisis.  This country is full of it. Every time you are sick or go to the doctors they always say the same thing: "Hay que hacer analisis," meaning "We have to do analysis."

I am used to having a conversation with a doctor, explaining symptoms, answering questions which usually leads to a diagnosis without the need for analysis. Here, you explain the problem and then go straight to the analysis stage.

Number one stepson had a nose bleed. Whole family decided that he needed analysis, as he obviously had too much blood. I pointed out that it might have something to do with the fact that his right index finger was permanently stuck up his right nostril on a never ending bogey hunt. I was ignored and off he went for analisis. Not just of blood either, but the standard blood, poo and pee. Whatever your complaint is - all three have to be analysed.

Same step son had headache. He had spent the day in the hot sun playing baseball. I asked how much water he had had to drink and he confirmed he had not drunk anything all day. I diagnosed dehydration. Ignoring me (again!) he was carted off to doctor who sent him for a brain scan and the standard analisis. For a headache. Which was not a brain tumour and disappeared once he had drunk some water.
These analyses don't come cheap and I can still not work out why they are so prevalent. Is it across all the segments of society here? Is it because doctors and patients do not discuss symptoms? Is it the doctors who recommend them, or the patient who insists on them?


There also appears to be a culture of self diagnosis, especially among the poor, and which has been passed down from generations when
access to a doctor was difficult.  It is aided by the fact that most medicines, apart from narcotics and a few others, are available over the counter. Unfortunately few know exactly what they are taking, why they should take them, nor the dosage. It is standard practise to take one antibiotic for pain, and to take pills to cure a prostate problem because the TV advert says men over 40 should take them, without having any idea where the prostate is or what it does. The boys and men who go to the gym take all sorts of protein pills, muscle builders and vitamins without any idea of the side effects. When he played baseball, number two stepson was constantly being injected by the coach with various concoctions, and he had no idea what they were, just that they would make him play better.

Is this just the Dominican Republic, or are other countries like this?


8 comments:

  1. I think the Dominicans must love medical procedures, in the countries I have lived, the doctors would not go for more than once a year blood tests, maximum! Buying medicines over the counter could be a bit of a danger, they will eventually be immune to an antibiotic if they really need it in the future. I know in Brasil people also buy their meds in supermarkets, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sami, yes you are so right about antibiotics and yes I think that they do love medical procedures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the same here in Portugal. I was initially impressed, but then I went to see the doctor for something pretty standard ie bladder infrection. Next thing I knew I was wheeled across the corridor to see a Gyni for womens problems. He just "happened to have a spare appointment" Yeah right and I was 60euros lighter and all I needed was some antibiotics.

    It's a way of making money!

    If they listened to you Lindsay the lads would save themselves a fortune. :) what happened to good old common sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the key is common sense. It is just Dominican common sense is different to English common sense. Their common sense says if you eat pork when wounded you will die. If you open the fridge when you are sweating, you die. Whereas mine says if you are a nose picker and have a nose bleed you don't need bloody analysis!

      Delete
  4. You can't get antibiotics over the counter in France without a prescription, but when you do go to the doctor's, you end up with a carrier bag full of lotions and potions. It's definitely over the top! However, they don't seem to be too interventionist and send you off for unnecessary tests, thank goodness. So it seems it's quite a good country to be ill in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when I lived in France people had a lot of 'crises'. For some reason the liver crisis appeared to be very popular, but I was never sure exactly what it was, or how you knew you had it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this post made me laugh! Though I have never lived in the DR I have spent significant time down there, being married to a Dominican man. I have a medical background and I always found it odd that anyone who is sick and went to the doctor was said to have 'anemia' and the treatment was always to drink mucho jugo???? Ok so I get if you are nutritionally deficient you can become anemic, but no where that I know of, do they treat anemia with fruit juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Catarine that made me laugh. This is the only place where they can tell you are anaemic by looking at you, and also can tell you have high blood pressure without taking it at all. One guy said eating green peppers gave him high blood pressure. Jugo solves everything and maybe take one antibiotic with it and anaemia will be cured for ever!

      Delete